- Practice Electronic Health Records (EHRs) are important tools. SWIC strongly encourages providers to confirm practice rates/individual date with the Wisconsin Immunization Registry (WIR). Confirming a patient’s immunization status with WIR allows all members of the immunization neighborhood to share information on their patients and ensure patients receive the right care at the right time.
- WIR has some useful tools for practice management including error reporting. If your clinicians are interested in taking immunizations a step beyond just rates, confirming valid doses, dose eligibility can be provided in a monthly report by the WIR. You can review some of the WIR functionality in this video (here).
- If you are looking for a quality improvement activity, the Immunization Action Coalition (IAC) provides clear examples of how to improve adult (and child!) immunizations in this publication: http://www.immunize.org/catg.d/p2050.pdf
The CDC supports several Part 4 Maintenance of Certification programs. Immunizations in our area are well below optimal levels (providers can check their electronic health record, Wisconsin Immunization Registry, or this sheet for a quick snapshot of childhood, adolescent, or adult vaccine rates in their county) and make for great quality improvement activities given their dynamic nature. The Indiana Immunization Coalition (IIC) has MOCs for increasing HPV rates among teenagers and Tdap vaccination in the third trimester of pregnancy.
Several evidence based practices for increasing immunization rates can be found here:
- Missouri used several techniques. Providers can select from an intervention knowing it is evidence based and successful here: http://www.astho.org/Programs/Evidence-Based-Public-Health/Missouri-Uses-Evidence-Based-Recommendations-to-Increase-Immunization-Rates/
- The Community Guide to Immunization allows providers to review evidence based immunization recommendations reviewed by the community based team on the Centers for Disease and Control: https://www.thecommunityguide.org/sites/default/files/assets/What-Works-Factsheet-Vaccination.pdf. The Community Guide provides resources geared toward public health; however, several of the recommendations e.g. recall/reminders for patients and implementation of IIS/EHR systems